Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Winter and hangovers

Winter can be an extremely depressing and boring time, particularly for a golfer. A typical round of golf will last somewhere between 3 and 4 hours which is a bloody long time to be out in the freezing cold. Add to that the numbness and coldness your hands get which are the most important thing as they are your only contact with the club and you've got a pretty shitty experience. But it doesnt half make you appreciate when the summertime comes.....

Inevitably, college life involves quite a large amount of drinking and I would be lying if I said I didn't occasionally partake! We went out for T's birthday and I am embarrased to say I COULD NOT get myself out of bed till 4 the next day! I am so jealous of those who can drink gallons but always feel fine the next day. T is one and my girlfriend R the other. How do they do it???!

Having said that, I had a rather interesting golf lesson indoors on the wednesday. It certainly has changed my perspective on how things are run in the world of professional golf. My advice to anyone interested, as I will now do, is to make sure exactly what is involved in turning professional as it seems to be changing on a day-to-day basis. Fortunately I have a tutor here who is in the process of turning professional at the moment. I will get the answers I need and post them on here.

The playibility test is a fairly daunting prospect, simply because it should be a piece of piss. To shoot +15 for 2 rounds sounds easy enough but you have to do it ON THAT DAY and I think it costs £60 to do it. As a 2-handicapper, I feel very confident about passing easily but my nerves come from the fact that it will the first time I will have played golf with my future riding on it. I reckon thats when golf becomes a whole new ball game and the process of really handling pressure begins. Some very good players have taken upto 3 attempts to pass it which shows how the pressure and nerves take an effect on anybody.

That said, I think it'll be a lot like passing your driving test with the same kind of emotions involved. I remember the setback of failing first time and then how exited I wass to pass second time easily. Thats my attitude, do my best on the first attempt, but enjoy the experience and learn from that if I do have to take a second test. I have failed many things the first time, but very rarely the second and perhaps this will reduce the nerves I feel on first attempt. What a strange mindset I have about some things but there you go.

Stay tuned........