Saturday, March 26, 2005

Shank update and discoveries

Well I have more or less shaken my shank infection, the little buggers are clinging on till the last and seeming to manifest themselves in any shot I have from 100 yards or closer to the green, any shot that demands distance control basically!!!

My outlook on golf has changed a bit just lately since the discovery of a website: www.freegolfinfo.com . This is an outstanding website that any serious golfer should take a look at. It's basically a free (cos i'm a cheapskate - haha!) website that tracks all relevant statistics such as putting averages, fairways hit, greens in regulation as well as your average for par 3's, 4's and 5's. Basically over time it begins to show patterns of your strengths and weaknesses in you golf game.

I have recommended it to T at college and my brother S and we have since created a group which allows us to compare our statistics with eachother. The best thing about this website is that it has made me approach each shot I play as an oppportunity to improve my statistics. This has aided one of my biggest errors in golf - not staying in the present because now whenever I play I am thinking about enetering that score into my computer and each shot is vital to that score.

This taught me a lot about myself on this particular day because I had an awful day with my swing today and due to the need to make my stats as good as possible, my course management has automatically improved! I shot 78 in the morning (which shouldve been about 82) and 74 in the noon still struggling but I certainly didnt make any bad decisions on the course about my shots and this was certainly beneficial and showed me that you can play the game without having to be in great form every time. I really think this is a the key to becoming a successful ly consistent player and is what separates bad from good and good from great players.

There you are, just a few ideas and findings from a typical day on the links..........