Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Looking back, looking forward........

I'll tell you what, for a golfer who absolutely loves golf and being outdoors, I can't believe the amount of time I have spent indoors in these last three weeks. I have at most played 2 times in one week now for the last month and a half probably and I am getting very frustrated with not being able to play and get stuck in to working on my game for next year.
The fact is that it has just been literally too bloody cold to even pick up a club. On the occasions I have been out, my body has just been too numb to concentrate.

There are two arguments, one being that I should be forcing myself out to face the elements, whatever they be and get a head start for next year, the other being that I have enjoyed recharging the golfing batteries by having a break and also my personal view that any work I do on my game would not constructive in these conditions.

I decided after my last test failure at Weymouth that I was desperately in need of a wind-down and breather from golf. I have struggled to accept doing this however as I simply love the game too much. Thus, I feel I have found the right balance of playing whenever the right chance comes along and just enjoying it for what it is. Don't get me wrong, I've not lost any dedication to persuing this dream (i'm doubly dedicated if anything) but the breather has been much appreciated.
I'm at a stage now where I really want to get 'stuck in' to my golf again and facing the reality of an english chilling winter every day is starting to get to me a bit now!

This lack of playing and the greater amount of free time i've had has got me to thinking introspectively and retrospectively (this one more so) about the year I've had and the one ahead. It's very weird that although this year brought about many setbacks and disappointment, I have realised that I honestly dont regret one bit of it and I can really appreciate now how this year can only benefit me in the future. I have been given the opportunity to learn so much about my sport through these tests and I cannot believe how much experience and knowledge I feel like I have gained through this whole 2005 golfing journey and have undoubtedly emerged a far better player for it. Some key things I feel I have learned are:
- the importance of having a sound temporament, particularly in 2 round events (perhaps the reason I failed every time).
- the importance of nutrition and maintaining sufficient energy levels (a factor that let me down twice!)
- that I generally do have the ability to do this but have to learn how to sustain my concentration.
- that it is important to focus on every single shot and take in all the external factors.
- course management skills can save even the poorest of rounds (a biggie)!

Introspectively, I have decided that it is no good acknowledging the above factors if I dont implement them in the future.
I will continue to rest until January but come the new year, I will gradually begin to build the amount of work I put in to my golf and also begin a strong focus on getting in shape for the new year and getting stronger.
As I am still an amateur, I will also look to take part in some county tournaments to get myself into more of a tournament frame of mind and also it will be good practise on a 36 hole basis.
This will all hopefully aid me in my build up to what will be my first (AND ONLY) test in the year in May. My goal is to blitz my first test by more than 10 shots and come home laughing.

Only time will tell, but fingers crossed. I can only do so much......