Monday, October 17, 2005

Kefalonia

Hello again, I am now back from my holiday in Greece and the 'missus' and I have had an absolutely fantastic time.

An incident occured whilst I was away but I will write about this in a few days as I am still very shaken up about it and don't feel I could find the words yet.

Anyway, the holiday began with a very unsettling journey to the airport at 5am. My ma very kindly offered to take me to Gatwick but to say the least, her car has been known to be a tad unreliable at times.
We got two-thirds of the way to the airport, all going well and then 'judder judder'! The car was kangaroo hopping in a way that did not represent a healthy vehicle. Mum went dark red in fear but thankfully after this minor panic we arrived at the airport safe and sound.

All was fine at the airport but I would like to comment that I do not understand how or why people there were drinking alcohol at 6.30 in the morning, holiday or not! The sight of Guiness at that time made me nauseous to say the least.

Anyway, we arrived to Kefalonia in glorious sunshine and feeling very excited about the week ahead. We piled into a minibus and set off towards Skala, our resort. This was where I noticed the first different thing to England, no barriers on the side of the roads!! Ok there were a few but not really on the hairpin bends! AAArrrgh - very scary.

We arrived at Pelagos bay hotel and checked into our rooms. This was when I learned my first bit of Greek culture - the toilets!
Now, I wont go into too much detail here but lets just say that i needed a well earned sh*t as we all do after a long journey!!! Cue R: 'Oh by the way in Greece you aren't allowed to put paper into the toilet, you have to put it in the bins!!!!' YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK!!!!!!!
God, this still turns my stomach!! My one and only gripe about Greece would be this fact as I think it is blatantly disgusting, not to mention hazardous.

It would be impossible to describe my time in Skala chronologically so here are some of the main highlights:

Skala was a lovely little town. There were many cool bars and restaurants to choose from and I think we explored a good portion of them. From one of the I captured my only souvenir - a Mythos beer glass - woo hoo! I swore at the start of the week that i'd get one.

Every night we would end the evening with a night cap at the hotel bar. This was definitely Yannis' turf. This is some ways was my favourite bar of the whole resport even tho it was on my own doorstep! Every drink bought was accompanied by a loud shout of 'YAMAS' or 'RELAX'. I learned very little greek language this week but i did learn 'Yamas' - the greek word for 'cheers' and this seemed really popular, not to mention useful.

The real low point of the week I would say was our trip to the island capital - Argostoli. It was an hour coach trip on those manky hairpin bends which were quite literally terrifying. The guide down there was a camp 17 year old (well that's how old he looked) and I think I speak for everyone by saying I was desperate to ram that microphone down his throat! He would not shut up or stop stating the obvious - 'this is our first stop', 'you will see a mountain on our left' and the most annoying: 'so for now, just sit back, relax and enjoy the journey' which he must have said about 20 times each way.
Argostoli itself was nice enough but I wasnt feeling too well and neither was R so I dont think either of us particularly enjoyed and then came the real low point - the coach ride home in the dark. Every hairpin bend on that coach in the pitch black was blatantly horrifying. When the back wheel slipped on one of them, that was me gone. I was praying to god for a safe return and R had her eyes closed in fear. AH, I'm so glad we got back ok altho R went straight to bed with a poorly tummy and I was close behind for the same reason.

The hotel pool was actually where we spent most of the daytime. It was chilled out with nice people around. The pool itself was bloody cold. It was just a case of dive in, scream blue murder and then swim around frantically for about 5 minutes. Then it was ok.

The rest of the holiday was just an awesome chilled out much needed break and I had a great time with R. Thank you so much babe, I had a great time and would not have had the chance to have this holiday if it wasnt for u! Here's to many more great holidays in the future x