Monday, August 01, 2005

Encouraging signs!!!!

Well, since my last test and ARP right up to 4 days ago, nearly 2 weeks I have not set foot on a golf course and practised very little indeed! I had lost all interest in playing because I have been struggling so much. I have refocused myself by going back to the gym and working towards getting physically fitter and stronger. This has been great because I enjoy it and it has given me something about as opposed to golf.

But, despite the negative start to this blog, things have gotten bloody good now actually. As an assistant at a golf club, I wont lie - we dont get paid much at all. But, I decided the time had come to invest some money in myself by arranging to get some quality tuition as I for some reason haven't been offered it anywhere else (!) and I was at the end of my tether with it as I had lost all understanding of my swing and couldnt figure out why i've been playing like such an arse. This whole playing test thing has put me right on breaking point, to the point where i've wanted to take a very long break from golf altogether as all enjoyment of the game had gone and i've been feeling like i'm going nowhere with it!

I came across a golf course in Chichester with an academy joined and after researching via the internet, found that the head coach had been personally trained by Mr David Leadbetter (one of the worlds top coaches who has worked long hours with the likes of Nick Faldo, Greg Norman and many other big names!) 'THAT'LL DO ME'! I said to myself and after contacting the guy and explaining my situation ie my goals and the playing test etc, I promptly arranged a lesson, which I went to last thursday.

The lesson, as it turned out went so much better than I was expecting. It was conducted by a guy who it was clear had a lot of experience and certainly knew what he was talking about.
The lesson basically consisted of me hitting balls while he video-recorded me from all angles for about 10 minutes. After this we went into the studio, where he sat analysing me for probably another 10 minutes - fast forwarding, pausing, rewinding etc over and over again.
After this he preceded to give me a detailed and visual explanation of the two main errors I had and more importantly how they are causing the inconsistencies and waywardness i've had lately. He illustrated this by showing me on the video so when I could see it for myself i knew it was making sense. Then with a couple of drills and demonstrations, I was already hitting better shots. One of my strengths is that I can regain confidence very quickly and just in those first few shots I felt like it all coming back to me. It feels so good to be writing positively.
Practise since has gone perfectly as i have been training myself to feel the positions i need to be in and definitely avoiding the bad ones.

My test is coming up on thursday this week and I cannot wait to do it. If i play like i have been these last 4 days, I cannot fail - theres just no way. I have been to rock bottom recently with the other 3 tests and if thursday goes as I see it going, it will be perhaps one of the most rewarding days of my career so far. I really cant wait. I just want to get on and PASS!!!!!

Fingers crossed. Hopefully i'll be reporting some very good news thursday night......