Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Back from Wentworth - wowee

Never in my life have I taken such great delight in playing like a pillock!!!
Wentworth has officially taken its place in my mind as heaven on earth. If only I were rich and could be a member of that place, i'd be in my element - R I love you so much for the greatest birthday present I have ever been given...

I have played on so many shitty courses in my time - naming no names MW but I'll be the first to admit it was way out of my league in terms of condition.

We arrived to glorious sunshine, checked in and paid - then we were given a 'goodie' bag. In it was a courseplanner, a scorecard, a range token and some exclusive wentworth tees. What a touch. I have proudly created a shrine in my bedroom.

After a nice warm up session we took to the velvety putting green. I must have spent nearly an hour practising on here to get some idea of what I may face on the course but even this would not aid me.

Unfortunately as we tee'd off, mother nature interfered and the heavens opened accompanied by a truly horrendous thunderstorm! Fortunately we made it to the halfway house but were very soaked and downright pissed off that the weather was spoiling our day! I was relieved cos I was struggling big time on the greens. I had already had three 3-putts and a four putt!!!!

Thankfully then, the rain stopped and the sun came out and it stayed with this for the rest of the round. I was so surprised at how different the course seemed in real like than on tv. How slopes seemed less or more severe, how shots seemed harder or dare i say easier than they look on tv - the 10th tee shot for example. The biggest surprise for me was how small the greens were. The 1st in particular was tiny but this is normally played as a par 5 for amateurs.

My biggest achievement was definitely a par on the 15th hole - a 460 yard par 4 beast of a hole in which I had a good up and down from a bunker in which i have seen many fail.

To play from 14-18 which is the main stretch you see on TV was a real thrill and to solidly par the last 2 holes left me feeling very contented and satisfied with what was a truly great day.

I recommend the Wentworth experience highly and although the cost financially is very high, the experience itself I would have to say is priceless!!!.........