Wednesday, May 04, 2005

The beginning of the inevitable swing overhaul....

Well havent written in a while cos so far its been a lot of 12 hour working days and bed and not a lot else. Its all been exiting tho. Have been given plenty of responsibility with the shop which I have enjoyed and in 3 weeks I feel I have already learned so much and am really enjoying it.

Am still awaiting more notification from the PGA but am assured by my bro S that it should be along shortly. To be honest, the longer my playing ability is postponed, the better for me because right now and for quite a few weeks now my golfing performance has not been as I have wanted.

But, things are going from bad to worse at the moment because after a recent lesson with videocamera etc I with N my boss, severe flaws in my golf swing have been highlighted and it is not good when a technique u have trusted for over a year and performed well with suddenly becomes a problem which in order to improve in the long run will be to the detriment in the short term of my form. I am more than prepared to go through this pain barrier because I have the faith that with precise hard work, I will finally emerge a lot closer to being the kind of player that might be able to make a few quid at playing this silly game - which I do not believe at the moment that I am really capable of. The best part of making these changes is that I now have regualr access to a very highly reputable coach and also some of the best teaching technology going, all very reassuring to me.

In other areas tho, the prospect of teaching and giving lessons on the game i love has for some reason become a very exiting prospect for me. I thrive on the eventual opportunities i will have to take a beginner golfer, teach them as best I can and then sit back and take reward in watching them improve. What a great feeling that must be for any teacher of any subject. I have done so much reading on so many different things, everything from biomechanics, nutrition, psychology (an area i myself hugely need to improve on), golf swing theory and many other things too so am hoping that I will eventually have a good grounding for teaching others because in some ways now this seems to be appealing to me more than trying to make a career solely from playing golf.

Also, with my college I have had a huge advantage of being able to pick the brains of two very experienced professional golfers who have always told it 'as it is!'- and this is generally that it is a bloody hard game to get into that takes lots of money tireless hours and also a multitude of painful setbacks. I can take all of these - but in real terms it makes so much more sense in the short term to realise that teaching will majorly supplement my income for certainly the forseeable future...........