Sunday, May 15, 2005

The final davies and tate match.........

Yesterday we lost 8-4 in the first round of the Davies and Tate plate. I realised that in all probability it would be the last time I ever compete in a Davies and Tate match which was a sad thought but am content to moving on to bigger and better in the realms of professional golf. I consider the match to be a milestone in my improvement because it was the first time i recognised any symptoms of the things ive been working on in my swing beginning to work.

I halved in my foursomes match in what can only be described as the scrappiest match ive ever played in. Neither of the 4 of us played to a particularly high standard but it was fun because we were competing head to head in such an ugly match that a half seemed the only logical result.
We were dormie 2 down tho after I had holed a 20 foot putt to keep the match going and then proceded to play the greatest recovery shot under pressure I have ever played. It was a 190 yard shot out of woods, through about a yard gap that had to be kept about 4 foot off the floor to prevent it from hitting more trees. The shot came off perfect and ended about 12 foot from the flag which allowed us to win the last hole and halve the match.

In the afternoon I lost one down to a very good player whose first shot of the day gave him a 10 foot eagle putt, so I knew I was 'up against it'. I take a lot of pride in that match because although I hit a lot of quality golf shots, I hit some very poor ones too but it was great to feel in control of my swing for the first time in a long time. I holed quite a few clutch putts to keep myself going and am proud of my reputation as a battler because I certainly was on this day. I could have won this match but unfortunatley couldnt quite close the deal but as said, was pleased to put in a good performance (71 would have probably been good enough to see off anyone else on their team). It was a small stepping stone towards hopefully a resurgence in form for me.

Fingers crossed.....