Monday, December 05, 2005

Night out.....

R and I went to visit her university mates over the weekend. I won't specify the place we went to, but I would definitely say that we had a great time with the exception of our night out on the saturday.

Now, I'm not trying to sound like an old man, party pooper or anything else to that effect, but I would have to say I was appalled by the scenes of drink fuelled behaviour that we were all unfortunate enough to be subjected to. I have never myself felt so unsafe on a night out, let alone the fact that I was trying to protect R from getting approached by anybody as well as her friends, all a very nice bunch of people. As the only guy with a group of girls, this was an uncomfortable situation and I drunk very little alcohol so that I had my wits about me.
The streets were basically lined with abusive, irritating and violent pissheads. The roads were lined with either puke-puddles or discarded rubbish, and it was just general carnage!!
I was in the gents of one place, and suddenly a security guard came bursting in to grab some guys who were snorting cocaine in there! I could hear the snorts!
The biggest thing to anger me was that after finally getting a taxi home, people kept throwing themselves in front of the cab and one guy even tried to open the door as we went past!!! WHAT THE F##K IS THAT ALL ABOUT???? (pardon the language but come on!)

I don't really know what the main point i'm trying to get to here, but I generally now and for quite a while hate going clubbing, wherever it is! It seems now that wherever you go, you are looking over your shoulder and trying your damned hardest not to look at someone the wrong way (ie not at all in some cases!) The way most people carry on through drinking heavily is something that I simply cannot handle now to any degree. Maybe its because i've witnessed certain things close to home, maybe its more out of fear for personal safety and those around me, I don't know. All I know is that it seems that less and less people seem to be out just to have fun (my main prerogative).
A current large problem is all the drink spiking that seems to take place. I thought it was just other people out that did this, but have recently learned that in a lot of cases it's the barstaff doing it too! What chance do you have??
I definitely am and always will be a 'pub-goer' but to progress on to any of these places is sadly something that holds no appeal to me anymore and I doubt I am the only one my age to hold this opinion.

Anyway, that's that rant over. We really did have a great time other than that.